I’m Allison and these are things that are nice to know about me but aren’t really all that necessary:
1. I was born and raised in Portland, OR… and honestly, I think it is where I will die. Of course there are many places I’d like to go between now and the end of my life but Portland is really one of those cities people gravitate towards. It’s not huge like New York or LA, but it has a ton of personality. If you’ve ever seen the show Portlandia you have a pretty good idea of what we are about (the show is quite extreme but takes the true Portland spirit and turns it up a notch or two). I strongly believe that being raised in Portland has blessed me with an open mind and heart to all walks of life.
2. I have four degrees – a Bachelor of Science in Advertising Management, Bachelor of Science in Marketing, Associate of Science, and an Associate of Oregon Transfer – Business. These are some of my greatest life achievements in that while earning them I learned a great deal about myself and developed life-altering self-discipline and responsibility. My future career goal is to work for a creative agency that focuses on international and nonprofit sectors.
3. I am a humanitarian at heart. I truly believe in doing good and treating others how you would want to be treated. Artist Ronit Bigal said, “Imagine a world where the words you speak appear on your skin. Would you be more careful of what you say?” I certainly would. I am only human and often do slip up, but that doesn’t mean give up.
4. Currently, the Peace Corps is my biggest passion. My love of helping others drove me to apply, but my need to live outside distractions of my comfort zone lead me to accept my invitation. I am very much looking forward to 27 months of service in Ethiopia and the challenges and rewards that will come from it.
5. And this is me at the end of most days: Charmingly awkward and slightly weird.